22 March 2007

White People Have Feelings, Too

Why is it that my white friends go out of their way to be politically correct, but non-whites I know, of all race and creed, find it perfectly acceptable to make derogatory comments about white people?

I know as a race we haven't had the best modern history in our treatment of minorities, but does that mean we as individuals should be constantly abused?

My students complain about racism, and then make rude comments about Asian drivers.

At least once a day I hear the phrase, "it's because you're white."

My non-white friends seem to mention race in every conversation. Is that what defines us? And if so, why do they want to be friends with me?

A comment made months ago about a snack I served that still annoys me: "This is so white."
Are white people the only people who eat cheese? I carefully went to the cheese store and selected a beautiful, perfectly balanced selection of cheeses, nuts, and fruit (from all over the world, by the way), sliced and arranged with care and served with a specific lovely wine, and the only comment I get is "this is so white?" I didn't even know the race of the strangers I was going to be having in my home ahead of time! Only white people like cheese? This is news to me!

However, most of my friends are not white, and none of them understand why I'm upset about these kinds of things. I guess I'm lucky I married a white guy, who gets this.

8 comments:

Michael Lasko said...

Well I am pretty fly for a white guy.

Michael Lasko said...

Upon reread: Ouch, you're mean.

Jessica K. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica K. said...

Okay...here it is: Nicole, I am sorry I stated soon doo boo cannot be your comfort food in a way that seemed to imply it was because you were white. It was not my intent.

I should have phrased it "how could soon doo boo be your comfort food? You don't know what it is".

However, in light of your explanation and in rereading the post I can see how it sounded especially considering the natural progression of the post.

Jessica K. said...

In no way was that an apology to Michael as he is taking a perverse pleasure in this. Please, continue the boycott.

Michael Lasko said...

I am not sure why you would think that. There is nothing pleasurable about racism. Nicole, you should ban her from your blog.

Jessica K. said...

I'm sorry, but you have said some interesting remarks this past weekend, Michael, to your favorite Korean doctor. It had something to do with the clientele at certain eateries in the morning and margaritas. It is too racist to repeat. Racism is not funny, you're correct. Please be more sensitive in the future.

Michael Lasko said...

The statement in question was classist, not racist...it was meant as derogatory social commentary directed at Newport Beach's elite (who are too lazy to clean their own houses). I have never claimed in any way be politically correct. Please don't pretend to understand me, you are wasting bandwidth.