22 August 2006

Yet Another Way to be Injured on a Bike

Last night, Michael and I went for a spin with Jessica, who just bought a new bike. At first, we were going really slow into the wind... about 6 mph... so as not to lose Jessica. On the way back, with a tailwind, we started moving at a more respectable speed... 16 to 20 mph.

Suddenly, I feel a rock hit my cheeckbone! Jessica screamed behind me, and I thought she was hit, too! It turned out she saw me hit by some kind of rubber ball, probably from a group who were hitting balls with bats nearby on the beach. My eye is still swollen, but not bruised, which is good. Explaining a black eye to the juvenille delinquents is not easy. (Don't ask me how I know.)

On the way back, we were taunted by a couple on beach cruisers, who were very fast. The chick was probably going 20 on her cruiser. So Mike and I had to kick it up, leaving Jessica in our dust. She didn't see a corner on the beach path, and drove into the sand. Her knee was very bloody, and she's now worried abou scars and future marriage prospects. Crazy, huh? Everyone knows guys dig girls with nice... umm... figures. Bicycling = Fit = Jessica. :)

Anyway, Michael told me for the first time to "just relax, don't pedal." It's hard not to pedal, so that didn't last long. But my eyes were teary all the way home.

Sunday tandem mileage: 20.1 mi

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel I must do a Rainbow and make a few...ahem... clarifications.

Although it is true, I am very slow...I'm not usually THAT slow. I chalk it up to not knowing how to ride my new bike, not knowing how to get out of my new bike, and being scrunched like a hobbit.

Secondly, I do not worry about the scarring and marriage prospects. It is all crazy talk. However, everyone else at work felt I was doomed and must start treating myself with vitamin E. I like Nicole's equation much better!

BTW, I now know seeing someone getting hit is very scary. It was all in slo-mo and I could do nothing to stop it. It seemed painful!

Mrs. Nicole Lasko said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mrs. Nicole Lasko said...

Yes, I should have clarified.

Jessica is not slow. It was just her first ride, so she was going slowly.

Michael Lasko said...

Kwon, can you please provide me a definition for "a Rainbow"? I would very much like to work this lingo into my everyday conversation...

Anonymous said...

Rainbow (n): a lengthy clarification in a non-argumentative manner; to clarify statements that may be true but misconstrued negatively by the listener; "Mike's assessment of my bike riding skills cause me to have to give a rainbow".