26 August 2006

My Day Was Worse Than Yours

First of all, a mileage update:

Tandem Mileage on Wednesday night: Approximately 21 miles. Our light interferes with our computer.

Yesterday, one of the teachers at our site went to have a conference with our principal. In the course of the conference, said teacher quit. As in, she went home and isn't planning to come back. Shock. Didn't sleep last night.

The other teacher and I decided not to tell the kids until Monday, by which time we hope to know what's going to happen to their class, etc. Plan derailed. The teacher who quit called one of her students and told the student she was fired. Not true. The teacher thought she was going to be fired, so she quit on the spot.

Our wonderful Assistant Principal talked to the class, but they are in complete denial. They don't believe she would, in their words, "abandon" them like that. They are convinced everyone else is lying to them. When I told my own class, their first question was "Is it because of us, Nicole?" Ouch. I didn't cry, but I came close.

These kids already have abandonment issues, and this is the third teacher to leave the site this year. Of course, the other two gave notice and made leaving as positive experience as they could.

I feel like I'm in mourning. I don't know if I believe in the five stages of grief, but if they exist, I'm still in the anger phase. Her students deserved better.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's sad...and much more altruistic. I'll give it to you...Michael should do dishes today.

Anonymous said...

Can we please have some good news? Anything, even a pratfall (from which you recover quickly, of course) would be better.

Let's hear it for happy posts!

Michael Lasko said...

I think that we have progressed from a bad day to shirking.